GTAP Data Bases: FlexAgg2: An Improved Version of the Data Aggregation Program FlexAggThe FlexAgg program distributed with the GTAP 7 Data Base (and older) does not work in Windows 7 64-bit (Even after updating the open-source utilities used to interpret the mapping files).
In order to solve this we have rewritten FlexAgg to be fully compatible with GEMPACK 10. The new FlexAgg, nicknamed FlexAgg2.X, has these new features:
- Takes advantage of GEMPACK text data files and is totally written in GEMPACK. (It does not use Awk for building aggregation mappings.)
- Can be called from anywhere in the file system provided it has been added to the Windows path.
- Allows databases with names different to those predefined in the GTAP Data Package.
- Easy manipulation of commodity, region, and factor sets makes FlexAgg2 a flexible tool to accommodate and incorporate satellite datasets.
- Produces a Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) view of the GTAP Data Base.
- For ease of reference, mapping sets with description of disaggregated (original) sets are included in the sets file.
- Error messages in the aggregation process are indexed facilitating debugging of larger workflows.
The default behavior of FlexAgg2 is significantly different from its predecessors, so we encourage reading the documentation.
Is there a patch for the older FlexAgg? No, there is not. Users wanting to update their FlexAgg programs are better off by, backing up their data files and mappings in a safe place, getting rid of the older FlexAgg, and unzipping the newer versions that can be downloaded from:
Why two different flavors of FlexAgg2? The GTAP 8 Data Base includes two new headers that needed to be accommodated in the aggregation programs.
Is FlexAgg2.X compiled using 64 bits? No, we compiled it using Window 32 bits for greater compatibility, but it does work in 64 bits. If you want it compiled in 64 bits you can run "compile.bat" in the source (FlexAgg2/src/) folder.
If you use FlexAgg2 please cite it as:
Villoria N. and McDougall R. "FlexAgg2.0: An Improved Version of the Data Aggregation Program FlexAgg." GTAP 8 Data Base Documentation, Chapter 4. Center for Global Trade Analysis, Purdue University, IN.